How to use OneNote?
OneNote is a wonderful, effective note-taking tool, but it's also those types of apps that just devout users really talk about. Let's modification that these days and provide SomeoneNote—and what can be done with it—more associated with the attention it deserves. Here are some tricks and tips for new OneNote people, and even experienced OneNoters may possibly not be acquainted these yet.
Very first: The Reason Why OneNote Rocks !
OneNote has been in existence for ten years now, and it's already been within the Microsoft Office suite for quite some time as well. People are still discovering it, though, and when they do, usually it really is a revelation due to the things it can do:
- OneNote actually seems like an electronic notebook: Pages tend to be arranged into coloured sections within notebooks, which are held all together within one system.
- You can embed anything in to the pages—images, sound, video clip, and files (drag-and-drop, infant!)—and put them in almost any area regarding the page. You're not trapped with a linear page layout or framework, to have an audio recording sitting to the right of meeting notes and an image associated with the event also.
- OneNote has an incredible search ability: You can search for text within images plus sound and movie files, plus your inked records. Seriously, it reads your handwriting without you needing to transform it to text, though you can perform that also. (Stylus assistance is one of OneNote's most useful features, the one that establishes it besides other note-taking resources like Evernote, however'll need a tablet PC with this. OneNote 2013, however, features enhanced support for writing/drawing from the pages with your hands.)
- It combines really with Outlook as well as other company programs.
I sound like a OneNote zealot and do think it’s great, but need confess I haven't already been using it for many years. There is no desktop variation for Mac, unfortuitously, the mobile applications were not good, as well as other applications like Evernote had better integration along with other services along with web clipping in browsers apart from IE.
Things tend to be altering now that the Android and iOS applications tend to be better, while the no-cost web-based version of OneNote, without as powerful as the desktop computer version, about tends to make your records accessible on non-Windows systems. Thus I chose to take another look at this beloved program to get a refresher on some cool steps you can take with-it, also what's brand new in OneNote 2013.
Just take Fast Notes—Without Also Having OneNote Start
OneNote is sold with two shortcuts which make quick work of creating a brand new note. Hit Win+N to start a fast note or Win+S to just take a screenshot of every location in your display screen. (In Windows 8.1, the screenshot shortcut is now Profit + Shift + S.) The fast note is going to be saved immediately in your Unfiled Notes area, although the screenshot are rapidly saved to your laptop and part.
Also, in the event that you right-click regarding the OneNote icon into the taskbar, you are able to quickly start a sound recording or transform what the results are whenever you click the symbol inside taskbar (quick note, screenshot, sound recording, open OneNote).
Structure and Edit Your Notes Faster with Keyboard Shortcuts
Rapidly include tags and rich formatting like checkboxes and special headings to your records, or place special items like tables or data with keyboard shortcuts. You will find a huge amount of them readily available, however some regarding the ones I use the essential tend to be pictured above.
Actually, four which are not on that list have to do with producing brand-new notes:
- Include a fresh page after this part: Ctrl + N
- Include a new page underneath the current tab within same level: Ctrl + Alt + N
- Include a subpage underneath the present one: Ctrl + Shift + Alt + N
- Turn the existing web page into a subpage or advertise it to an increased degree: Ctrl + Alt + ] (correct bracket) or Ctrl + Alt + [
Clip Web Pages into a study or even Read Notebook in OneNote
With OneNote put in on your computer, Internet Explorer gets two convenient page clippers: Send to OneNote and url to OneNote. It preserves the formatting of the page, timestamps once you clipped it, and adds the foundation URL.
You'll print any web site to at least oneNote, but directly, I don't like the method OneNote manages the publishing to OneNote. However, i discovered a very effortless means around this: make use of the Readability "Review Now" bookmarklet, then your Bring to OneNote expansion. As an additional bonus, any article i personally use the Readability "Review Now" bookmarklet link on, gets immediately conserved to my Readability archive too.
Insert Sound, Movie, Math Equations, Links, Photos, and More
One of the best top features of OneNote is its assistance for embedding pretty much anything—and, when I stated earlier, making it searchable. Avoid being timid using insert selection! Ideas:
- Scan in handwritten meals and mag dishes to OCR them
- Just take sound tracks of a lecture and search for terms later
- Add screenclippings and search the text within all of them later on
Youwill need enable researching within video and sound recordings, however. It is under File > Options > sound and movie
For the people with a display that supports a stylus:
- Switch your chicken scratch into text
- Write notes over scanned-in or cut pages
Replace the View to Fit Your Workflow
In the normal OneNote view, the truth is all notebooks, part tabs, and pages. OneNote's view selection, but offers additional options that could be appropriate for what you are doing. The total page view (F11), like, maximizes the workspace—great when planning on taking records without distractions or you have limited screen real estate. The Dock to Desktop choice is great for side-by-side note-taking and internet searching.
Use Templates and Add-Ins
Templates and add-in stretch OneNote's functionality. Click on the down arrow regarding page selection and then "Page Templates…" to see just what's available or download more. You will find templates for pupils, work, and so forth. Under the Blank templates, there are even people that will replace the page size to a 3x5 list card or postcard. You can adjust the template applied to a typical page and then conserve it as a time-saving template.
Just like the various other workplace programs, additionally a couple of add-ins available for OneNote especially. Onetastic (complimentary) works together OneNote 2010 and 2013 and, while the name indicates, is great. Along with it, you will see your OneNote pages on a calendar, crop and turn pictures within OneNote, make your very own macros, pin pages or areas, and lots more.
That one's not really an add-in, but it's helpful for cross-platform users: a way to see and edit Microsoft OneNote regarding iPad and Mac. Outline is an excellent standalone note-taking tool by itself, but its special energy is within exactly how it requires OneNote notebooks developed in the PC and syncs all of them toward iPad or Mac (through SkyDrive, Dropbox, or package). Yes, Microsoft has OneNote for iPad, but Outline is actually gorgeous and adds such things as favoriting notes and showing most recent records in a sidebar. There's a restricted no-cost version and Outline+ for $14.99.
OneNote: The Complete OneNote User Guide - How To Easily Become More Organized And Productive With Microsoft OneNote! (How To Use OneNote, Time Management, Life Organizing Tips)
Book (CreateSpace Independent Publishing Platform)
OneNote: OneNote For Beginners - Learn How To Use OneNote And Become More Organized, Productive And Efficient! (Microsoft OneNote, How To Use OneNote, Time Management)
OneNote: The Complete Beginners Guide To Improve Your Productivity, Become More Organized And Get Things Done With OneNote! (How To Use OneNote, Time Management, Life Organizing Tips)
Book (CreateSpace Independent Publishing Platform)